Think core values are just a box ticking exercise? Think again. AFL Insurance Brokers CEO Bob Finch reflects.
Some cynics see deciding on core values as a company little more than a box ticking exercise. And that’s quite sad when you think about it – in fact it’s an attitude that says a lot about the connection with a company and inspiration, or lack thereof, that some individuals derive from their work.
This is the bit where I say that things are different here at AFL Insurance Brokers. But then, I would say that, wouldn’t I? After all, being passionate, determined and having fun are core values of ours, together with embracing and driving change, and pursuing personal growth and learning.
Why take my word for it? The proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes – so I wanted to take a moment to highlight and celebrate some of the fantastic charitable work that our team has undertaken during the last 12 months; activity that brilliant and enthusiastic individuals within AFL have volunteered for, given their time and ideas to, and helped raise funds to support.
– In July, intrepid AFL duo Kate and Alex completed the Color Run UK 5km fun run in Wembley Park- raising a fantastic £247 for NSPCC and emerging covered in coloured powder en route. You can find out more about the charity color run here: https://www.nspcc.org.uk/what-you-can-do/charity-runs-cycles-and-challenges
– In June, AFL’s Keely and Pam successfully completed the Manchester – Snowdon Moonlight Challenge and smashed their £800 fundraising target while doing so. Check out the combined AFL Just Giving page to see by how much!
– Also in June, AFL’s Alec and Jonathan attended the Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation Ball, which raised over £125k. Over 200 guests joined IICF to celebrate the industry’s impact in the community at the historic Merchant Taylors Hall in London.
– In April, our London and Manchester offices we held a charity bake sale featuring savoury and sweet snacks made by our team, which raised almost £300 for NSPCC – eat your heart out Bake Off!
– In March, AFL were part of the effort to raise a massive £200,000 at the North West Childline Ball, supported by committed and long-standing AFL volunteers. The generosity of those who danced the night away was truly inspiring.
– In October 2017, it was an early start for our team of volunteers helping at the Whitechapel Mission Breakfast Challenge, cooking and serving a full English breakfast and hot drinks, starting at 05:45. The Whitechapel Mission is a charity which helps to stabilise and sustain people’s lives in a very positive way by providing a safe, cheerful and welcoming environment. Volunteers are a vital source of support for the staff – find out more and sign up to volunteer here.
And there are plenty more activities planned for the rest of the year too. AFL is taking part in the IICF week or giving in October – we have participated in this over the last few years in Manchester and London, and very much look forward to doing so again in this year.
We are also hoping to support the Whitechapel Mission Breakfast Challenge again later this year, as well as Kentish Town City Farm Volunteering. Please click on the links to find out more about these fantastic charities and how you could support them.
We take our core values at face value – putting words into action, not just in our corporate function, but also in our sense of fun and giving.
We’re very proud of what we do and how we do it. We are very aware of our social responsibility and are engaged at both corporate and individual levels with voluntary, charitable ventures.
This activity reflects AFL’s overall commitment to the highest standards of integrity and ethical conduct. A huge thank you to all the team for your admirable, laudable work.